Linking your SSN to your ITIN

If you’re reading this, you probably have an ITIN and are about to get a Social Security Number. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is the number you use to file taxes when you’re a resident or nonresident alien, and you’re not yet eligible for a Social Security card.

Nonresident and resident aliens who apply for an ITIN with the Form W-7, and have permission to work in the USA, can start filing tax returns and stay in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service.

If you go from visa holder to permanent resident and get an SSN from the Social Security Administration, you can and should get credit for all the years you have been paying your federal taxes and Social Security with your ITIN. 

We can help you sort this out to get credit, so you can get better social security benefits down the line. If you are going to retire, or if you need to apply for disability, we can help you too. 

Contact us so we can talk about your situation in particular, and advise you on how to proceed. Text us at 405-272-9393.

HubSpot Video


Para leer esta nota en Español, haga clic aquí.

Michael Brooks-Jimenez

Written by Michael Brooks-Jimenez

Michael is President and managing attorney of Michael Brooks-Jimenez, P.C., firm specializing in immigration law, criminal defense, workers’ compensation, and personal injury. He is well known within the community and his commitment to the interests of the Hispanics is without question. Today, Michael Brooks-Jimenez has founded a prestigious legal services team with the objective to continue fighting for the rights of Hispanics and to help them more efficiently.