HubSpot Video

The answer is NO. Asylum is a form of protection for people who flee their countries because they fear persecution. But if you’re physically present in the United States, you’re not eligible to file for this application. 

However, if someone abuses your immigration status, you may qualify for the T Visa, a temporary immigration benefit that enables certain victims of a severe form of trafficking in persons to remain in the USA. For example, when an employer or a company threatens to report you to ICE if you refuse to work overtime. 


Michael Brooks-Jimenez

Written by Michael Brooks-Jimenez

Michael is President and managing attorney of Michael Brooks-Jimenez, P.C., firm specializing in immigration law, criminal defense, workers’ compensation, and personal injury. He is well known within the community and his commitment to the interests of the Hispanics is without question. Today, Michael Brooks-Jimenez has founded a prestigious legal services team with the objective to continue fighting for the rights of Hispanics and to help them more efficiently.